Monday, October 24, 2011

The Joys of Having Older Siblings

Being the "baby" of the family often has its perks. But there are times, when being the youngest child in the family is not fun. Take Rilian here, for example...He has three older siblings. One sister and two brothers. 

One evening, Piper, Finn, Seven, and Rilian were all playing out back. We have a swimming pool and I leave it up to Jeremy to take care of it. You know, putting chemicals in it and making sure it is clear and clean. Well, he tries to keep up with it, but sometimes it gets forgotten about. You're probably going to think this is gross, but this one particular evening, the pool was in some really sad shape. There was scum in it...Piper, Finn, and Seven decided to take the scum out of the pool and they found the "perfect" place to put it...
From the expression on Rilian's face, I don't think he agreed with his sibling's thoughts on where the scum should be relocated to.

Now for another example...

One evening, Finn, Seven, and Rilian were playing in Rilian's room. They usually don't play in there, but I didn't think too much of it. Then Rilian came out crying. I looked him over, made sure he wasn't bleeding, gave him a hug, and told him he was ok. He obviously was pretty upset about whatever happened in his room because he cried for a very long time about it. I just figured he was really tired, because he didn't get a very long nap that day.

That night as I was brushing his teeth, I noticed his cheek was a little pink AND it was a little swollen. Then I thought to myself, "No wonder he cried so much about it!" I asked him what happened. He said, "Seven punched me." I didn't know whether to believe him or not, because he blames alot of things on Seven, even when Seven is innocent. 

In order to find out exactly what happened in his room, we sat Piper, Finn, Seven, and Rilian down and asked each one of them what happened. Well, Piper lucked out because she wasn't even in the room when it happened. Seven didn't admit to knowing what happened. Finn said Rilian fell off his bed and hit the floor. The next morning, Rilian said that he hit Seven's head. So, I don't know exactly what happened, but from what I gather, the boys were jumping on Rilian's bed and Rilian jumped off and his cheek hit Seven's head. Who's idea was it to jump off the bed? I don't know. But, once again, Rilian, being the youngest sibling, got the short end of the stick.

The next morning, his eye was swollen shut a little. And his face was starting to bruise. He really didn't want me to take his picture, so this is the best I could get.  
Since he wasn't really cooperating first thing in the morning, I tried later on in the day to get a better picture. You can see how much it was swollen.
I called the doctor to see if they needed to look at it. With the swelling being so close to his eye, we were worried they might need to drain it or do something about it. We also wondered if his cheekbone might be fractured. The doctor said not to bring him in, just give him Tylenol and keep an eye on it.

Around dinner time, the swelling had gone down, but the bruising was getting worse.  
It happened on a Wednesday or Thursday night. I started to count days to see when it MIGHT start to get better. I thought it MIGHT start to get better on Sunday. Great...we will be going to church on Sunday. What will his teachers think? As a parent, when things like this happen, you worry about someone calling Child Protective Services on you, thinking you beat your child. I wasn't too worried, I have worked for Child Protective Services before, so I know alot about the process. But the thought did cross my mind, just like any other parent.


Later on that same night, the bruising was worse and was starting to spread.
The next morning, the bruising got darker. Rilian looks so pitiful in most of these pictures because he never wanted me to take a picture of how horrible his eye looked. 
While brushing his teeth, while getting ready for bed that night, I thought maybe he would cooperate and not have a pitiful look on his face. So, I took another picture. The bruising was darker yet. 
The next morning, the bruising was darker and starting to spread more. But hey, look! He is smiling!
Four days after the initial injury, Rilian's eye started to slowly get better. The bruising was still pretty dark, but around the edges, it was starting to turn yellow. A good sign!
I think it took about a week and a half or close to two weeks for it to completely heal. Poor little fellow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment