Friday, July 26, 2013

Going Back to Our Roots

On our way home from Ruidoso, I decided to take a little detour through Carlsbad, New Mexico. Piper and Finn were born there, so I thought since we were that close I would show them what it looked like since we moved when Piper was 2 1/2 years old and Finn was 17 months old. Piper has asked me a little bit here and there about it. I figured this would give them a clear picture. 

Between Ruidoso and Carlsbad is Roswell, New Mexico. If you have never been to Roswell, you are missing out...not really. But it is quite humorous with all the aliens. The McDonald's there is a UFO. We have eaten there once before and my kids (mostly Seven) haven't stopped talking about it. I left Ruidoso so that we would be in Roswell at lunch so the kids could eat there again. I'm not sure what Rilian is pointing at.
All was going well on my solo trek with my four young children. They were enjoying playing at the playground until Piper came and told me that someone had pooped in the slide and it was on her pants! UGH!!! Since I was by myself, I couldn't leave the boys playing while I got Piper clean clothes, so we all went out to the car. We have a Tahoe and it doesn't have that much cargo space so we had a car topper on it for our suitcases. Of course, Piper's suitcase wasn't one of the ones by the edge. It had to be in the middle! I just reached in her suitcase and pulled out a clean shirt and clean shorts. I didn't care if they matched or not at that point. Then I had a horrible time trying to get the car topper to close again! It was HOT outside! We got Piper all cleaned up and headed on our way to Carlsbad. I was SO THANKFUL that my kids did not complain about leaving the McDonald's playground without getting to play for a long time. I would have let them play longer, but things happen. Don't worry, I made sure to tell a worker what happened so that they could clean it up. Needless to say, I was NOT happy!

We headed on our way to Carlsbad...This is what it looks like between Roswell and Carlsbad...

It's a whole lot of nothin'! However, I think I might have seen a prisoner escaping! There are signs saying there is a prison facility near and you should not pick up hitchhikers because they could be prisoners. There is alot of barb wire fence along the way. I saw someone, not too far from the signs, trying to carefully go between the wires on the barb wire fence! Think what you want, but it makes for a kind of exciting story.
The first place we stopped in Carlsbad was "Look-Out Point". It is the highest point in Carlsbad and you can see the whole city. Behind Piper, Rilian, Seven, and Finn is the view overlooking Carlsbad. Unfortunately, the sun was in the kid's eyes. 
The front of the hospital where Piper and Finn were born...
Seven and Rilian didn't want to be in the picture since they weren't born there, even though I told them they could be in the picture if they wanted to.
We moved out to Carlsbad, New Mexico, because Jeremy got the job of Associate Minister at this church. 

We lived in the house right across the street from the church. I told the kids to hurry because I didn't want someone to come out and wonder why they were standing in front of their house getting their picture taken. When we lived there, we actually had this fence put up so Piper and Finn (toddler and baby age) could play in the front yard. We had our four Siberian Huskies in the backyard. 
After a quick trip to Walmart for drinks and snacks for the rest of the ride home, I found one more place to take the kid's pictures. All of them got in the picture this time!
Seven wanted his picture taken by the roadrunner around the corner. He has always pointed out roadrunners whether they were on a sign or the actual bird. There is a realtor in our town who has a roadrunner on their sign and when Seven was younger, he would see the signs and say, "I see a runroader." It was cute how he got the word mixed up!
I have to brag on myself and say that I was proud of myself for making the trip from Ruidoso to Carlsbad and home (a total of 9 hours) with my four young children. Not very many moms would be brave enough to do so. We arrived at all our destinations safely! I thank God that He was with us and kept us safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment