Tuesday, July 12, 2011

2 Moms and 8 Kids...ages 7 and under!

The church we now attend sends their elementary kids to a camp near Ruidoso, NM. Jeremy decided to be a counselor at this camp. Since we have some good friends who work and live at this camp, I decided I would go with our four kids and stay with them. Connor is the activities director. Kaylee and Connor have four kids. They had four kids in four years, just like we did.

I thought I would just follow the charter buses in our vehicle. That way, if something should happen along this 7 hour drive, they could stop and help me. I was a little nervous taking my four children all by myself on such a drive. If they were older, it might not be so bad. Piper is the oldest. She just turned 7 years old in May. Rilian is the youngest. He is almost 2 1/2 years old. 

The campers were supposedly leaving the church at 7am. So, I woke up my kids at 6:30am. This is earlier than they get up for school! Jeremy called me at about 6:50am and said that he didn't really pay attention to the schedule, but they weren't going to leave the church until 9am. I thought about it for a little while. I knew there was no way I could go back to sleep now that my kids were awake. So, I decided I would just start driving without the rest of the group. I knew that if something should go wrong along the way, at least they would be a couple of hours behind me. The trip was uneventful. Everything went well. I made the drive without any problems, with my four children. Coming home was just as good. I was very glad! 

Combine my four children and Kaylee's four children and what do you have? EIGHT kids, ages 7 years old to 6 months old. There were 7 boys and 1 girl. It wasn't as bad as it could have been. It  actually wasn't bad at all. They all got along really well. If any of the children ever had a problem, it was with their siblings.

Since we would be staying in Kaylee and Connor's house, my children and I would be sleeping in one room. We decided the kids needed sleeping bags. So we took them to Target and let them pick some out. Piper, Seven, and Rilian all picked this orange fox.
The tail is the zipper. There was also a pink bunny and a brown bear to choose from. Finn picked a plain red sleeping bag, so he could tell his apart from the other's. 
Who would have thought that there really were Sasquatch in Ruidoso, NM? ;) We were sitting outside one day while our 8 children played and I saw this sign posted on a telephone pole behind me. I couldn't resist capturing the picture!
We took the kids to play in the river one day. They said it was cold at first. I did not get in, so I can't tell you one way or the other. But is sure was beautiful! Finn and Piper are exploring here. 
Seven and Piper exploring. 
Trip, Finn, and Thatcher exploring. Trip and Thatcher are my friend's older two children. 
Piper wondering off on her own. 
Rilian didn't want to get in at first, because he said it was cold. 
I tried to get a good picture of Rilian, but he wasn't very cooperative during this shot.
My friend, Kaylee's, third son, Truett. Otherwise, known as True True. 
Kaylee and Townsend in the river. He is 6 months old. She was blessed with four boys! They call him Towns for short. I love her son's names! 
Rilian and Thatcher had fun throwing rocks into the river.
He finally decided it wasn't too cold to get in.
Sweet Finn, in the river...
 And Seven, in the river...
Precious Piper, in the river...
On a different day, we took the kids to the playground at the Smokey the Bear Historical Park. It was a pretty cool park. Check out Rilian's climbing skills!
It was a good week. Kaylee and I are already looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment