Thursday, December 5, 2013

Andrew

As the real world is in December, my blog is still in October. Maybe one day I will catch up, but let's not hold our breath...

Jeremy's parents live right behind us. We were at there house one Saturday and I went home to get something. When I came back a few minutes later, Jeremy's mom, uncle, and Jeremy were gathered around his dad, who was sitting, and they were praying. When they were done praying, I asked what happened. While I was gone, they had received the very tragic news that Jeremy and I's nephew, Andrew, was in a single car accident and he died instantly. He was 23 years old and has a 3 year old daughter. This picture was taken last December when he and his daughter, Jadie, came to visit. Pictured left to right are: Rilian, Seven, Andrew, Christopher (Andrew's youngest brother), Finn, Jadie (Andrew's daughter), and Piper.
It just seemed unreal to hear the tragic unexpected news about Andrew...

The morning of his funeral service, we had a hard time waking Rilian up. He was sleeping on an air mattress and Jeremy was stomping on the other end...
I can't help but laugh when I watch that video!

There was a memorial service where all of Andrew's friends and family could come remember him. For the funeral, it was just family and very close friends. Maybe you shouldn't take pictures during a funeral, but I couldn't help but capture this picture. It was just so sweet to see my three boys sitting there.
I also had to capture the sweetness of Rilian sitting on Benjamin's lap listening to stories of Andrew. Andrew has two younger brothers. Benjamin (who graduated high school last year) and Christopher (12 years old). 
Then came time to fill in the hole...Anyone that wanted to help, could. Krystal (Jadie's mom) and Christopher (Andrew's youngest brother) took their turns.
 Piper had a turn...
Rilian wasn't too sure about it at first. I'm sure as a four-year-old, it was hard to fully comprehend exactly what was going on. Aunt Jessica (Andrew's mom) helped him.
 Rilian finally got up the courage to do it on his own...
 Finn had a turn...
Seven didn't want a turn...

Andrew was a very caring young man. He truly loved others and wanted to help them. It's not fair that he was taken from us at such a young age, but we don't always understand why things happen the way they do. I know Andrew is up in Heaven and we will get to see him again when our time comes. 

I debated about even posting this blog post. I did not want to upset anyone or bring up the hurt of losing Andrew again. Since this could possibly be a sad post to some, I will end the post with some humorous stories about my kids at the other two funerals they attended...

When Grandmother (Jeremy's grandma) died a couple of years ago, we went to her memorial service. The service was held in the graveyard. It was just close family. Now remember this was 2 years ago. My kids were 7, 6, 4, and 2. They had just about as much energy back then as they do now, if not more. While we were in the graveyard, Rilian knocked over a tombstone! Yes, you read that correctly, Rilian KNOCKED OVER A TOMBSTONE! How does that even happen?!? Jeremy quickly picked it back up and Jeremy and I were saved from a little bit of embarrassment in that only a couple of family members saw. Most people didn't realize it happened. Some of you are probably just now finding out!

Not too long after Grandmother's funeral, we attended another funeral. It was Jeremy's dad's sister-in-law's funeral, I believe. This one was also held at the graveyard where she was to be buried. I know my kids and I knew they would have a hard time being quiet and still during the funeral. So, I let them wander in the graveyard. I pointed at a tree in the distance and told them not to go past it. I stayed in the back of the group of family members gathered around for the funeral and occasionally looked back at my children to make sure they were still within the parameter I gave them. I happened to look back at them and saw them standing on a freshly dug grave and throwing the clods of dirt off! Oh my! I was slightly embarrassed, hoping no one else saw them. I walked as quick as I could to them and fussed at them, "Get off that dirt! There is a dead person in there!" 

I'm sure I'm not the only parent to speak before they think. I probably could have worded that a little differently. Once they had put all the dirt clods back on the freshly dug grave, I taught them how it is disrespectful to stand on a grave. 

So, needless to say, I am very thankful that there weren't any "incidents" at Andrew's funeral!

No comments:

Post a Comment