Saturday, March 19, 2011

Have you had "The Talk" with your kids?

I, myself, nor my husband have had "The Talk" with our children yet. Our kids are 6, 5, 3, and 2. They are still young, but ever so curious. I have not sat down and thought how it will go. I have not sat down and planned what I will say. I have heard some advice, but have not developed a plan of my own yet. Perhaps, after watching this video, I should start thinking about developing a plan...
I can only imagine how it will go with my kids. I imagine it will go a bit like that video, if I don't have a plan! 

I don't know if Julia Sweeney really had this conversation with her daughter, or if she is merely being a comedian and doing her act. Regardless, it is funny. Although, I did notice that she never once said that "when you get married"... I do know that I plan to throw that curve ball into "The Talk." I just hope and pray that when we have "The Talk", I will convey to my kids that they can come to me about anything. I want to be the kind of mom that my kids will "talk" to and not be afraid to come to with their problems or fears. 

I am sure the day will come sooner than I am ready. I don't know that any parent is really ready to have "The Talk" with their kids. Parents, please help your kids to feel comfortable to come to you with their questions and concerns. Don't stray away from the subject. You would rather your kids get the correct information and from you than whatever information they may gather from their friends and peers. Don't let this fact of life close the door an open relationship with your kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment